- 2017, Buddhism & Medicine: An Anthology (New York: University of Columbia Press). [Amazon, publisher’s page] — Collection of 62 chapters by 57 contributors covering much of premodern Asia.
- 2016, Traditional Thai Medicine: Buddhism, Animism, Yoga, Ayurveda, Revised edition (Bangkok: White Lotus Press). [Amazon] — Revised version of my MA thesis, first ed. Hohm Press 2007.
- 2014, Translating Buddhist Medicine in Medieval China (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press). [Amazon, Excerpt from publisher] — Revised version of my PhD dissertation.
Selected scholarly articles
- 2015, “Toward a Global History of Buddhism and Medicine,” Buddhist Studies Review 32.1: 35–61. [paywall link, or contact me for PDF]
- 2015, “Reexamining the Categories and Canons of Chinese Buddhist Healing,” Journal of Chinese Buddhist Studies 28: 35–66. [PDF]
- 2014, “Buddhism & Medicine in East Asian History,” Religion Compass 8.8: 239–50. [paywall link, or contact me for PDF]
- 2014, “Medicine,” Oxford Bibliographies Online: Buddhism. doi: 10.1093/obo/9780195393521-0140 [paywall link, or contact me for PDF] Last update: 2015.
- 2013, “Fields of Merit, Harvests of Health: Some Notes on the Role of Medical Karma in the Popularization of Buddhism in Early Medieval China,” Asian Philosophy 23.4: 341–9. [e-print]
- 2013, “‘On Eliminating Disease’: Translations of the Medical Chapter from the Chinese Versions of the Sutra of Golden Light,” eJournal of Indian Medicine 6 (1): 21–43. [PDF].
- 2012, “‘Treating Illness’: Translation of a Chapter from a Medieval Chinese Buddhist Meditation Manual by Zhiyi (538–597),” Asian Medicine: Tradition and Modernity 7.2: 461–73. [PDF]
- 2010–11, “Mixing Metaphors: Translating the Indian Medical Doctrine Tridoṣa in Chinese Buddhist Sources,” Asian Medicine: Tradition and Modernity 6.1: 55–74. [PDF]
- 2010, “‘A Flock of Ghosts Bursting Forth and Scattering’: Healing Narratives in a Sixth-Century Chinese Buddhist Hagiography,” East Asian Science Technology & Medicine 32: 89–120. [PDF]
- 2009, “The Buddhist Medicine King in Literary Context: Reconsidering an Early Medieval Example of Indian influence on Chinese Medicine and Surgery,” History of Religions 48.3: 183-210. [PDF].
Selected popular articles
- 2016, article simultaneously published in Penn Press Log and Penn Museum Blog [Penn Museum; Penn Press]
- 2016, article in Tricycle Magazine [paywall link with preview]
Textbooks for practitioners of alternative medicine
- 2006, The Spiritual Healing of Traditional Thailand (Forres, Scotland: Findhorn Press). [Amazon]
- 2004, The Encyclopedia of Thai Massage: A Complete Guide to Traditional Thai Massage Therapy and Acupressure (Forres, Scotland: Findhorn Press). [Amazon] — 2nd ed. co-authored with David Roylance, 2011. Republished in Thailand by Silkworm Press, 2005; Chinese translation by Beijing Sports University, 2008 (published under name 皮尔斯．赛尔盖罗); Czech translation by Poznání 2008; Portuguese translation by Madras Editora (Brazil), 2010; Estonian translation by Kirjastus; Spanish translation by Editorial Paidotribo (Badalona), 2015. Companion Thai Massage Workbook also available from Findhorn. [Amazon]
- 2003, Thai Herbal Medicine: Recipes for Health and Harmony (Forres, Scotland: Findhorn Press). [Amazon] — 2nd ed. coauthored with Nephyr Jacobsen & Tracy Wells, 2014. Republished in Thailand by Silkworm press, 2005.